Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer fun at the Fenelon Park Elevator

I had the extreme pleasure of visiting the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque last weekend. I have to admit, once I got in this tiny little box and was what felt like a ridiculous distance from the street below, I kind of wanted to jump out. But, I put on the brave mama face. See? Here's me pulling the cord to let the operator know we're ready to go up.


So we went up up up and here we are mid-hill.


And here's what it looks like when you are at the tippy top, looking over the beautiful city of Dubuque.


When you're ready to head back down the incline, here's where you go out.


Just kidding.

The Fenelon Place elevator website says that this is the shortest, steepest scenic railway and it opened in 1882. Yes, you read that right 1882. It has burned down a few times and been rebuilt, but this is a little piece of history in the most unsuspecting place. I highly recommend it. When you've survived it (ahem) you can hit the cute little candy shop at the bottom, or better yet, head to Monk's for a stiff drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...